Press Release - The Fulcrum Group, in partnership with the Bag Factory Artists' Studios and the Candice Berman Gallery is looking for young and up coming Curators to enter into the FULCRUM SUZANNE SHAW CREATIVE AWARD 2017. The award in 2017 revolves around the concept of “seeing things differently” and exploring the intersection of where art and industrial design meet. Entries are now open and this incredible opportunity will provide the deserving winner with an opportunity to curate an exhibition of new works from artists, designers and creatives which will be exhibited at the Candice Berman Fine Art Gallery towards the middle of 2017.
We are looking for a young, dynamic and hard working person with curatorial experience to produce the exhibition of new works at the Candice Berman Fine Art Gallery in the middle of 2017. The winner will be expected to work with a professional curator to hone their proposal, select artists to participate on the exhibition, monitor the production of work, market and drive publicity for the artists and exhibition, price the works, hang the exhibition and finally make sales. We want to provide the aspiring curator with the experience they need in every aspect of the exhibition process.
The award takes place between 15 February and 15 June 2017.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
1. Someone who is passionate about the arts and exhibitions
2. You must have access to a computer, cellphone and the internet
3. You must have the ability to get around the city
4. You must commit 15 hours a week to the project
5. You must have interest in curatorship and some previous curatorial experience
6. You must be under the age of 35
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUBMIT?
▪ A proposal that revolves around the concept of “seeing things differently” utilising the concept of the intersection where art meets industrial design. The proposal must include:
▪ how you intend to utilise the concept
▪ the format of the exhibition
▪ a short list of artists, designers and creatives that you want to work
▪ A detailed CV with at least 2 references of other curatorial work
▪ A single A4-page typed motivation, including personal details and outlining reasons why you believe you deserve the award
▪ A copy of your ID
WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE?
1. Mentorship from Candice Berman of the Candice Berman Fine Art Gallery
2. A hot desk at the Bag Factory Artists' Studios for 4 months
3. A monthly stipend for 4 months
4. An exhibition at the Candice Berman Fine Art Gallery
HOW WILL THE ENTRANTS BE JUDGED?
The applicants are will be assessed by the Bag Factory's Programme Committee comprising leaders in the Johannesburg visual arts scene and Candice Berman. We will be looking for the applicants ability to work with artists, project manage, mange budgets and deliver the exhibition in line with their final proposal.